Friday, January 6, 2023

✔️✔️ Exploring Lima on Foot: A Morning Run Along the Costa Verde


One of my favorite activities is running in the morning, especially along the beach. It's a small city adventure that escapes from the concrete, smog, the deafening noise of cars, and monotony to embrace the sound of the sea, the ocean breeze, the humidity of the sand, and the bluish tones of the dawn - an inevitable prelude to a new day. 


It reminds me of the famous quote by Mark Twain: "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." For me, running along the beach is a way to find my purpose and connect with the present moment.

I put on my orange shirt and running shoes, completing my athletic outfit with a blue cap. My goal? Thirteen kilometers. It's not a small distance for someone who is 45 (now 46). On my way, I find old buildings from the Chorrillos district of the past, which contrast with the modernity of the current buildings. 

Some people start their day like me, some to do sports and others simply to work. The Costa Verde, that characteristic cliff of the city of Lima, greets me as if it has been waiting for me for days to go down through it and meet the sea again.

READ:⭐️⭐️⭐️ Discovering Peru's Rich Cultural Traditions through its Festivals 

As I run, I am reminded of the famous travel writer Bruce Chatwin and his words: "I have always thought of the act of traveling as being like falling in love. It is a way of extracting the goodness out of life." That's exactly how I feel when I run along the beach - it's a way to extract the goodness out of life and find joy in the present moment.

There's nothing more beautiful than the sea in the early morning - its eternal melody will be my companion on this run. Some people see Lima as boring. 

The bored ones are them. Only a bored mind could not appreciate its details. I usually run to the Malecón de Armendariz. That's about 6 kilometers. 

Then I go back and do 12 kilometers to get home. In Armendariz, I stop and meditate, pray, think, and thank God. I see him in the sea, in the breeze, and in my own ability to meditate on it.

If you are a traveler visiting Lima and looking for things to do, I highly recommend a morning run along the beach. It's a great way to start your day, get some exercise, and experience the beauty of the city. And if you're feeling adventurous, you can even extend your run to the Malecón de Armendariz and back, like I do. It's a fantastic way to explore the city and discover hidden gems that you might not find otherwise.

So, don't let the monotony of the city get you down. Embrace the adventure and beauty that Lima has to offer, and start your day with a refreshing run along the beach. You won't regret it!

No comments:

The Plaza de Armas of Cusco at Dawn

The Plaza de Armas of Cusco is one of the most beautiful plazas in the world. It is located in the heart of the city, and it is surrounded b...